Friday, April 30, 2010

Quote to live by :)

“When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents’ enjoyment of their babies, it’s rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep.” James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

Ask me how my baby sleeps. Yesterday, I would have told you she was a terrible sleeper. Up every hour and a half to two hours all night long. I would have told you how tired I was and how I wished she would sleep for just one long stretch. I would have told you how I longed for four or five hours of consecutive sleep for myself.

Ask me how my baby sleeps. Today, and from here on out, I will tell you she sleeps great for Lucy. I will secretly smile to myself, knowing what a HUGE improvement we have made. How two hours is so much better than waking every 45 minutes. Today, I will smile and tell you how happy I am that she sleeps in her crib, holding her pink bunny lovey between her two little hands. How sweet it is when I go in to get her that she grasps the bunny ears and lifts it out of the crib with her. I will think to myself about how lucky I am to have those nighttime nursing sessions with her. How that is OUR time that can't be taken away. How I am secretly pleased that she needs me, and wants me!

Tonight, when I wake up at 12, then 2, then 3:30 and 5, I will happily, albeit sleepily, walk to her room, and quietly lift her from her crib. I will kiss her soft forehead, and let her squeeze my finger as she nurses for five or ten minutes. I will give her another kiss before I put her back down, and pat her little diaper butt and whisper "Night night monkey" as she goes back to sleep. This is our peaceful nighttime routine, and this is what is working for us.

Lucy's sleeping is normal - it is normal for Lucy. Someday, I am going to miss this!

1 comment: